I have been making some MAJOR changes to the way I eat. (More on that someday) I been removing refined sugars and carbohydrates from my diet. because of that I have been trying to find a semi-substitute for cake-y, bread-y deliciousness.
Breads and simple carbohydrates are a trigger food for me...they make me want more and more sugar! Not to mention they make me sleepy, sluggish and hungry much quicker than when I eat more protein rich foods.
Here's the recipe, Hope you like it! try it and let me know what you think.
Almond Flour Blueberry Scones
A super yummy low-carb, low sugar treat
2 ½ cups of almond flour
½t sea salt
1t baking soda
¼ cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
2 Eggs, beaten
¼ cup honey
¼ cup granulated baking splenda (or your favorite sugar free substitue) (or sub the honey for another ¼ cup of the splenda)
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Beat eggs lightly, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine dry ingredients well.
- Incorporate blueberries.
- Add eggs and honey.
- Mix well, you should get a semi-crumbly dough that sticks together in a ball, but not your hands. If you find it not sticking together let it sit 2-5 minutes so the almond flour can absorb the liquid better.
- You can do the next step a couple
different ways, here are two options:
- Line a muffin tin with liners. Measure ¼ cup portions for each cup. Place scoop in cup.
- Place dough on a cutting board. Shape into a circle about an inch and a half thick. Cut the dough into eight slices (or whatever size you want). With a spatula move each slice to a cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until golden
brown on top.
- Remove from oven and allow scones to
sit 5-10 minutes on the warm cookie sheet/in the muffin tins.
Recipe JWMGorman 2013
You can Download the recipe right here!