What began as the idea of a peacock has morphed into something else. Something flowing, lovely, and whimsical. Exactly what it should be for now.
At it's largest points it is 7.5 feetX 4.5feet.
I'm really pleased with this piece, and have some plans to ammend it so that I can have it outside, make it more site-specific, and generally versatile. Do you see those shadows in the bottom picture? LOVE those!
One of my friends in the class said something the other day that resonated with me. She was talking about control, or the lack of control when it comes to art. For four and a half weeks I tried to control the outcome of this piece, and continually felt defeated instead of delighted. As soon as I STOPPED and just slept on it I was able to come up with an interesting piece of work.
I can't even begin to tell you how helpful my husband was during this...from bringing me lunch, supplies, and encouragement to driving around town helping me pick up the final pieces needed to complete this--the NIGHT BEFORE it was due--and sawing the wood platform, legs and supports at about 10:30 at night (sorry neighbors) in 103 degree weather. All of this without a complaint.
So how long have I been talking about a peacock? 5 weeks, right. Well, it is a peacock no more.
Remember that sketch from yesterday's post? Forgetaboutit.
I have to say 5 weeks is NOT enough time for a sculpture of this size to be fully realized. Well maybe for a professional, but not me. But, I am not giving up, I am just going to have to morph these beautiful feathers into something else for the Thursday deadline.
I'm kicking myself for thinking that I would stick to what I decided on DURING THE FIRST WEEK.
I know that's crazy.
That's not how my brain works.
That's not how art is made.
That's not how an artist works.
I move on, I forge ahead; with more thinking, contemplating, trial, and error I will figure this out.
Up a wall?
along the floor?
Okay, I am clearing my brain here a bit so I am fresh a little later. Let me share a sneak peak of what I have been working on today and the last 5 weeks.
Can I just say how scared I was of the glazing process? When I was putting the oxides on I just couldn't SEE what it was going to look like in the end. The color that is stroked or sprayed on is NOT THE SAME as what it looks like when it is done firing.
I had no idea.
After removing the first half from the kiln I was pleasantly surprised, they looked nice. I was happy with the decision to make each feather different and NOT follow a pattern for the colors. They are all different and all equally beautiful.
The real magic happened when Carlos and I placed them in a simple formation.
In this case the whole is greater than the sum of its parts--by and far. My jaw dropped. I had made those. A vision had become more of a reality than I ever thought in my wildest dreams.
Now, although I am stalled I know I will have a lovely presentation on Thursday, and while it may change over the next few months I will be able to look back at this project and smile.
sooooooo. This peacock is killing ME! Okay, not literally, but I am in waaaaaay over my head. In the end I will prevail (or at least that is what I keep telling myself), but my creative brain is really being stretched right now. A sketch from last night gives a glimpse into what's going on, although I'm not totally clear myself.
Tomorrow I am glazing the last of the feathers (only 12 left to do) and loading all of them in the kiln for firing, I really hope they turn out beautiful, but I am a little wary of the oxides and glaze.
Having never worked in ceramics or glazes they seem unpredictable and hard to envision what they will look like after they are fired! I am using a combination of mostly copper and cobalt oxides with a very small amount of iron with a translucent glaze, almost clear.
You should have seen me hovering over clay feathers with a small lung powered sprayer hooked up to a little air-compressor sraying the glaze! What a hoot, but it was saving me a bunch of time.